Set up a formala to refer to a cell in a different sheet

  1. #1
    Brian
    Guest

    Set up a formala to refer to a cell in a different sheet

    I need to set up a formula in one sheet to appertain to a cell in another
    sheet(same row, different column) that can be dragged and copied down a
    column. I have found that =INDIRECT("'"&$D$19&"'!b"&ROW()) , where D19 is the
    name of sheet 2, does what I want as long as I don't insert a new row in
    sheet 1. However, whenever I insert a new row in sheet one, all of the
    information is thrown off. Can I somehow lock the rest of the column against
    the information listed in column A, (for example A23 is account number,
    B23-G23 is other info related to that account), but still have a formula that
    can be copied without using a VBA macro?? If so, how?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: Set up a formala to refer to a cell in a different sheet

    Why not just

    =Sheet1!b23

    relative refernces adjust to "most" move, insert, delete operations

  3. #3
    Brian
    Guest

    RE: Set up a formala to refer to a cell in a different sheet

    The problem is that I now have over 30 different sheets. I was hoping this
    was possible using an indirect reference so I could type the name of the
    sheet in one cell and have the whole sheet update with info from the most
    recent sheet 2. I would use =INDIRECT("" & $D$19 &"!C5")..or whatever cell I
    need, but that would have to be entered differently in each row. Is there no
    way I can do this by entering one formula and dragging it down the column??

  4. #4
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: Set up a formala to refer to a cell in a different sheet

    look at using Match and VLookup together as in this link

  5. #5

    Use ROW() reference.

    I think that I have had the same problem using INDIRECT as you, where the data inside the quotes (!C5 in your example) is not modified when inserting rows or copying and pasting. I solved this by filling column A with the ROW() function. You then need to replace "!C5" with "!C"&A5. If the formla is then copied to row 6 for example, the reference becomes "!C"&A6 whereas "!C5" would remain "!C5".

    Hope this helps.

    Rob
    Last edited by WightRob; 10-20-2005 at 06:53 PM.