Changing Date Format

  1. #1
    stittal
    Guest

    Changing Date Format

    I know this seems like an easy one, but I am working on a research
    project for the Director of the program that I work for and I need to
    change the way birthdate is formatted in a particular column. It reads
    year first and then month and day.. 20051024 and he wants it to read
    10/24/2005. I assumed I could just go to formatting and change it and
    it will not let me. There are 6900 some odd records so there is no
    possible way to do them manually.. Can anyone help?

    --
    stittalPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Changing Date Format

    Sounds like it is not a date. Try adding a helper column with a formula of

    =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2))

    and copy down.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SteveH
    Guest

    Re: Changing Date Format

    You can select the entire column by clicking on the column label ( the
    letter in the gray area at the top of the column) then right click within
    the selected column and choose Format Cells from the menu.

    HTH

    Steve

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Changing Date Format

    Try Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next>Column Data Format>Date>YMD>Finish

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    stittal
    Guest

    Re: Changing Date Format

    Thank you so much Gord Dibben... that worked. thanks.

    --
    stittalPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben