shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is enter

  1. #1
    fomula problems
    Guest

    shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is enter

    Sloth i know that you replied with a formula, but still cannot get it to
    work.below is the sort of worksheet i am using, and have discribed below what
    i want it to do.
    also can you explain how to enter the formula and where thank you.

    A B C D E G
    1 63 59 78 89 58 12:40
    2 22 54 36 74 25 11:10
    3 19 36 27 46 58 12:25
    4 46 98 68 96 56 0

    When i enter a time is column G i would like the wholeof that row to
    highlighted up to and including G, if i enter 0 because a time has not been
    established i do not want the row to be highlighted, but then if i do
    establish a time late i can enter the time and the row will be highlighted,if
    the formula you gave me will do that, could you also let me know how to enter
    it on the worksheet, new to this sort of thing.
    Alan

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is enter

    You need to use conditional formatting to do what you want.

    "fomula problems" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    fomula problems
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    I know that i need to use conditional formatting, but have never done it
    before tryied to use it it but did not understand how to use it and what to
    put in the boxes.
    Alan

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    Select all the rows, starting at 1
    Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of =AND($G1<>"",$G1<>0)
    Click the Format button
    Select the Pattern Tab
    Select an appropriate highlighting colour
    OK
    OK

    RP

  5. #5
    fomula problems
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    Bob cheers have tried to do as you say but when i get the conditioning
    formatting boxes come up i changed the condition one to IS okay but could not
    fill the other boxes where do i enter the formula, sorry to be a pain.
    Alan

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    When you change Condition 1 dropdown to Formula Is, there will be an empty
    text box to the right. Add it there.

    RP

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    Bob's explanation is accurate, so you're not following it *exactly*

    Let's try again:
    From your example, select A1 to G4, then:
    <Format> <ConditionalFormatting>
    The window under "Condition1" displays "CellValue Is" by default.
    Click the small down arrow on the right side of that window to expand the
    options.
    Click on "Formula Is".

    This gives you a *single* window to the right, where you will enter Bob's
    formula:

    =AND($G1<>"",$G1<>0)

    Now, click on "Format",
    And choose a Pattern color and/or a Font color.
    Then <OK> <OK>

    You should now have what you asked for.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  8. #8
    fomula problems
    Guest

    Re: shading a rowwhen a time is entered but no shading when 0 is e

    Thank you Bob and Rag, yes it was my mistake,it work great thanks for your
    help. How do you get to know this sort of thing is there a book that can give
    information on functions for Excel.
    Alan