Links auto update on some workbooks but not others

  1. #1
    Tasza
    Guest

    Links auto update on some workbooks but not others

    The set up:
    I have a Summary workbook that is linked to several Platform workbooks. The
    Platform workbooks take their Start Date and other information from the
    Summary workbook (a simple '=C12'). The Summary workbook in turn takes totals
    from the Platform workbooks and uses them in calculations. All of the
    workbooks are in the same folder on a network.

    The problem:
    Exactly half of the Platform workbooks are still producing the error message
    'This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated'. I have
    marked the 'Don't display the alert and update' choice in the Startup Prompt,
    and cleared the 'Ask to update' choice in the Options. When I choose the
    'Edit links' option on the error message, the source status registers as
    "Ok".

    I can't figure out what I did differently, linking the second half of the
    Platform workbooks back to the Summary workbook. I need the Platform
    workbooks to open and update independently, without prompting the user, and
    preferably without requiring the Summary workbook to be opened first. I have
    tried clearing the link, saving, and re-linking, but continue to have the
    same problem.

    Any ideas? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: Links auto update on some workbooks but not others

    not sure why any of them work.

    If platform needs data (date) from summary and then calculates totals.....
    Closed workbooks do not calculate.
    links are designed to pull fixed data or last calculated data.

    look at the pulling from summary formulas on a "working and non-working"
    book for a clue