Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

  1. #1
    TKT
    Guest

    Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    Hi There,

    I would like to set up a formula that recognizes the text (i.e. render or
    "R") I have noted in a cell and assign a color to it...whichever color I have
    designated.

    Is this possible or am I asking too much of MS Excel? Please advise....any
    feedback would greatly be appreciated!

    ~TKT

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    You can use Conditional Formatting from the Format menu to do
    this.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    One way:

    Assuming that cell A1 is selected:

    CF1: =OR(A1="R", A1="render")
    Format1: <patterns>/<color>

  4. #4
    TKT
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    Thank you for taking the time to respond....greatly appreciate it! I will
    try it
    and see how it works. ~TKT

  5. #5
    TKT
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    Great! Thank you so much!!! ~TKT

  6. #6
    TKT
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    Hi JE,

    To further complicate my issue, what if I have a drop down list....can I
    still set it to recognize the various codes set? Example given below:

    F = Fixed (want to reflect blue)
    R = Rendering (want to reflect green)
    N = Null (want to reflect yellow)
    P = Pass (want to reflect grey)

    My drop down menu has the options "F", "R", "N" and "P"....once someone
    selects "F" or one of the other 3, can it be assigned the various colors
    which I've listed above? I am desperately trying to have this automatically
    color the cell once the code is selected.

    Hope I am making sense....please advise and thanks again! ~TKT

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Conditional formulas: color code text populated cells?

    See one response to your later post ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max