link between sheets get messed when master sheet is sorted

  1. #1
    Kt
    Guest

    link between sheets get messed when master sheet is sorted

    Sheet 1 complete list of names all pupils and fees per month
    Sheet 2/sheet per instructor - list of pupils per instructor with names and
    fees linked from sheet 1
    Problem. If we add new names to sheet 1 then sort it alphabetically the rows
    change so sheets 2s values get messed up.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: link between sheets get messed when master sheet is sorted

    I've given one response (below) to your multi-post in .misc
    (Pl do not multi-post)

    One way is to use VLOOKUP in Sheet2 for the Fees

    Assume in Sheet1, names are in col A, Fees in col B
    data from row2 down

    In Sheet2, names are listed in A2 down, Fees to be extracted in B2 down
    Put in B2: =IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))
    Copy B2 down as far as required

    --
    Rgds
    Max