help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

  1. #1
    jnasr
    Guest

    help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

    Hi,

    I'm pretty new to using lookup functions. I have a workbook wiuth 96
    worksheets, and rather than linking individual cells to each worksheet,
    I was hoping I could use a lookup function. I entered the name of each
    worksheet on my output page. Is there a way to get the lookup function
    to read the data in that cell as the name of the worksheet? Any help
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

    Hi!

    Try something like this:

    G1 = sheet name

    =VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT("'"&G1&"'!a1:b5"),2,0)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

    Assuming your sheet name is in cell A5 and you want to return the value
    of cell A1 from that sheet try:
    =INDIRECT(A5&"!A1")

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  4. #4
    jnasr
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

    to make it simpler, let's say I have sheet 1 and 2. On sheet 2, I have
    data from cells b9 to c109. I'm trying to use the vlookup to reference
    the data label in the first column of sheet 2 (column b in the array)
    and lookup the data value in the second column (column c).

    on the first sheet, i have the second sheet name in cell d3 and the
    lookup reference in cell b3. I think Biff's suggestion may work, but I
    don't know how to manipulate the indirect function. Excel's help tool
    was pretty useless.

    Thanks,
    Joe

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: help with vlookup across multiple worksheets

    Try this:

    =VLOOKUP(B3,INDIRECT("'"&D3&"'!B9:C109"),2,0)

  6. #6
    jnasr