Cell Validation

  1. #1
    Pam
    Guest

    Cell Validation

    I have set the validation on a cell not to exceed 25 characters.
    When you type more then that a message comes up telling you
    you have to many. When you hit cancel it deletes all of what you
    have put in. I am trying to find a way so that it just leaves the first
    25 characters and cuts the rest off. Any idea how to do this?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Cell Validation

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:37:28 -0800, Pam <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have set the validation on a cell not to exceed 25 characters.
    >When you type more then that a message comes up telling you
    >you have to many. When you hit cancel it deletes all of what you
    >have put in. I am trying to find a way so that it just leaves the first
    >25 characters and cuts the rest off. Any idea how to do this?
    >Thanks

    I can't think of an immediate way to achieve this in the same cell,
    but you could use a helper cell which contains

    =left(yourdatacell,25)

    then remove the validation altogether from yourdatacell.

    HTH
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

  3. #3
    Pam
    Guest

    Re: Cell Validation

    That did work for me. I am using a template and the cell that I am trying to
    do this in is a actually four cells that are merged together. I have even
    opened a new document off of this template and it still doesn't work. Thanks.