want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

  1. #1
    Debgala
    Guest

    want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    I wanted sumif to evaluate a range of cells over 2 columns.
    My formula looked like this
    =SUMIF(Q4:R27,">0",H4:H27)
    Oddly enough, it works if there is a value >0 in column Q,
    or in both columns Q and R,
    but will not work if there is a value >0 in column R but no value >0 in
    column Q.

    How can I make it work? (And if anyone has time, why doesn't it work the
    way it is now?)

    Thanks,
    Deb

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    =SUMIF(Q4:Q27,">0",H4:H27)+SUMIF(R4:R27,">0",H4:H27)

    will work

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    Assuming that you want to sum the values in Column H where the
    corresponding values in Column Q or Column R are greater than zero,
    try...

    =SUMPRODUCT(--((Q4:Q27>0)+(R4:R27>0)>0),H4:H27)

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    From just looking at your formula, I could guess that you want *both*
    Columns Q & R to be greater then zero before adding the value in Column H.

    However, I did say *guess*.

    Could it also be Q *OR* R greater then zero?

    So, is it Q *AND* R
    Or is it Q *OR* R ?

    And which way should Sumif() translate it?

    Q *and* R
    =SUMPRODUCT((Q4:Q27>0)*(R4:R27>0)*H4:H27)

    Q *or* R
    =SUMPRODUCT(((Q4:Q27>0)+(R4:R27>0)>0)*H4:H27)
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5
    Debgala
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    Thanks Bob - it works like a charm.

  6. #6
    Debgala
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    Thanks Domenic - your answer also works like a charm.

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    Really?

    Mine and Domenic's can't both work like a charm, as they will return
    different results. Mine is an AND condition, Domenic's is an OR. If say Q4
    and R4 are >0, mine will add H4 twice, Domenic's just once.

  8. #8
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: want sumif function's range to evaluate 2 columns

    Hi,

    It seems you want to sum the range if any one of columns (Q or R) have a 0.
    You may also try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =sum(if((Q4:Q27>0)+(R4:R27>0),H4:H27))

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur