Help w/ counting multiple columns based on IF criteria

  1. #1
    ConstructionGuy
    Guest

    Help w/ counting multiple columns based on IF criteria

    I am trying to figure out how to count an occurence if a condition in one
    column is true and if a condition in another column is true as well. Here is
    an example:

    A B C D
    Subdivision Presold Spec Model
    BANKER'S HAVEN x
    INVESTOR'S HOLLOW x
    BUILDER'S ESTATES x

    I want to count everytime the subdivision = "Banker's Haven" and "Presold".
    I have racked my brain and tried everything. part of the problem is that the
    information is provided by external clients and I do not have control of the
    format. It is likely that all of the information comes in on 1 tab and may
    have a couple thousand units.

    Can someone help me? I have tried nested IF formulas..IF AND formulas which
    doesn't seem to work b/c the comparison data is in two seperate columns. I've
    tried SUMIF, COUNTIF, you name it..Anyone have any solutions?

    Thanks for your help.
    James

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Help w/ counting multiple columns based on IF criteria

    Assuming Presold is signified by an "x" in column B, then

    =sumproduct(--(a2:a1000="Banker's Haven"),--(b2:B1000="x"))

  3. #3
    ConstructionGuy
    Guest

    RE: Help w/ counting multiple columns based on IF criteria

    Duke--you are awesome! Thanks a million!
    James

  4. #4
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Help w/ counting multiple columns based on IF criteria

    Hi,

    You may also try this array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =sum(if((range1="BANKER'S HAVEN")*(range2="x"),1,0))

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur