Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

  1. #1

    Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

    • Add a column for winner that displays the name of the person with highest % goal reached.

    I have several columsn with names.. and then more columns with numbers.. once i get the max number i wanna see what name corresponds with that number..

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

    try
    =index(name range,match(values range,max(values range)))

  3. #3
    didnt work for me... let me try to explain better what I have since it wont let me post my excel file..

    I have a column with Names... some columns after with quarterly numbers, a column which adds all those sales(total column), a goal column, and then a column which calculates the percent of the goal the person has reached. I need a column which will display the name of the person with the highest perecentage goal, and then have that number show up.

  4. #4
    I also am having trouble creating a vlookup table... ive read documentation but it isnt flying with me..

    • Add a column for “Ranking” based on percent of goal reached using a vlookup table
    create the table where those selling over 100% of target goal get Excellent, those from 90-100% get Good, from 75-89 get Fair and any below 75% get Monitor

  5. #5
    bump still havent figured it out

  6. #6
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

    To get the name of the person with the highest percentage assume names
    in A2:A5 and percentages in D2:D5
    =INDEX($A$2:$A$5,MATCH(MAX($D$2:$D$5),$D$2:$D$5,0),1)

    Note: if there is a tie this will give you the name of whoever is listed
    first with the highest percentage.

    To get the actual highest percentage simply =MAX($D$2:$D$5)

    Is this what you were wanting?
    Regards
    Rowan

  7. #7
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

    See http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Range
    You would set up your table like this:
    0% Monitor
    75% Fair
    90% Good
    100% Excellent

    Say this table was in J2:K5 and the percentage you wanted to look up was
    in D2 your formula would be:
    =VLOOKUP(D2,$J$2:$K$5,2)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  8. #8
    thank you very solid

  9. #9
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Searching for a particlar value and matching to a name..

    You're welcome. I also replied to your question regarding the ranking
    but it is not showing up on my newsreader. Repeated here: