Expanding data

  1. #1
    Excels Cracking me up!
    Guest

    Expanding data

    When i transfter data from an external source, I have formulas that pick up
    the data from a Vlookup table, to match the transfered data, and return
    various things.... the problem is, is that the transfer data is not always
    the same amount of rows every day. To ensure i have calculated all the data
    transfered, i have used the cheats way out and copied the formulas all the
    way down to the bottom (Well 30000 cause i give up). Excel seems to struggle
    with calculating cells all the time.... I know this is the wrong way of doing
    it and i need to use some thing like Dynamic Data Ranges??? Ive looked into
    it but to be honest i havent got the time to nerd around... im struggling to
    understand the =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,MATCH("*",$A:$A,-1),1) formulas that i have
    found, dont know where to input them etc... i thought i was quite good on
    excel until this one! im going mad please help!
    Thanks

  2. #2
    William Horton
    Guest

    RE: Expanding data

    You can use a named range in your Vlookup table that refers to the range of
    the external data. Then use a macro to adjust the named range based on the #
    of rows in the external data. You can use the special cells / last cell row
    # to determine what row to go through (assuming the data starts in row 1).

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Expanding data

    Clarify things a little, please:

    Are you copying formulas to act on each row of imported data? If that's the
    case dynamic ranges won't help you. Short of using a macro to copy your
    formulas down the sheet to reference each row of imported data, the next best
    thing is to have the formulas in row 1 or 2 in a column adjacent to the
    imported data. Then, simply select the formulas and double-click on the
    small square at the bottom right of the selected range. Excel will copy the
    formulas to the bottom the used range.

    Do you need to have the range of imported data identified in a range name,
    for reference in formulas? If that is the case, you'd use the dynamic
    formula in the Insert->Names->Define dialog box, in the Refers To text box.