formula QUESTION

  1. #1
    Guest

    formula QUESTION

    Dear
    We have a excel file two column, one is word , one is value. eg as below.

    Column 1 Column 2
    A 1
    A1 2
    A2 3
    A3 4
    B 5
    B1 6
    B3 7

    I want formula is

    new value is column 3 = all column 1 relate word A (eg A1, A2.....) and
    column 2 number with sum in a total number.

    eg. ( if related word A field ( A + A1 + A2 + A3 ) ) = 10

    I am not sure which forumual is better using in this workheet, please
    advice.

    Thanks
    Jackie wong

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: formula QUESTION

    One response given in microsoft.public.excel reads:
    (Please do not multi-post)

    > eg. ( if related word A field ( A + A1 + A2 + A3 ) ) = 10

    Assuming source data is in A1:B100
    text in col A, numbers in col B

    List the text (letter/word) in C1 down, eg:

    In C1: A
    In C2: B
    etc

    Then we could put in D1, and copy down:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C1,$A$1:$A$100)),$B$1:$B$100)

    Col D will return the required sums

    If you need it to be case-sensitive,
    replace SEARCH with FIND in the formula
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: formula QUESTION

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:16:56 +0800, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dear
    > We have a excel file two column, one is word , one is value. eg as below.
    >
    >Column 1 Column 2
    > A 1
    > A1 2
    >A2 3
    >A3 4
    >B 5
    >B1 6
    >B3 7
    >
    >I want formula is
    >
    >new value is column 3 = all column 1 relate word A (eg A1, A2.....) and
    >column 2 number with sum in a total number.
    >
    >eg. ( if related word A field ( A + A1 + A2 + A3 ) ) = 10
    >
    >I am not sure which forumual is better using in this workheet, please
    >advice.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Jackie wong

    If I understand you correctly, you want to add all the numbers in column 2 that
    have, in Column 1, a label that begins with the letter "A".

    If that is the case, this will work:

    =SUMIF(A:A,"A*",B:B)

    If you want to put the label portion in, for example, C1, then this variation
    is the equivalent:

    =SUMIF($A:$A,"="&C1&"*",$B:$B)

    With an 'A' in C1, the result will be 10.
    With a 'B' in C1, the result will be 18

    --ron