How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of all

  1. #1
    Linda
    Guest

    How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of all

    I do not want zeros to just show up when nothing has been put in a cell. But
    I want 0's to show up when entered in to the cell. Then I want to count all
    whether it is a number or text. Is there any way to count all in a group of
    columns to get just the count?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of all

    Have you tried the COUNTA function?:
    Example:
    =COUNTA(A1:B20)

    It returns the count of all non-blank cells in the referenced range.

    Does that help?

    Ron

  3. #3
    PCLIVE
    Guest

    Re: How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of all

    Linda,

    I'm not sure that a formula can count the number of characters in a range of
    cells. However, here is a formula that will count the number of characters
    in a single cell (A1).

    ==IF(A1="","",LEN(A1))
    If A1 is blank, then the result will be blank. This will include spaces in
    the count. If you want to omit spaces in the count, then:

    =IF(A1="","",LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")))
    This only couts characters without spaces.

    Fill down as needed, and then use a SUM fuction in another cell to get a
    total count.

    HTH,
    Paul

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Linda
    Guest

    RE: How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of al

    Thanks Ron, you were right on...it worked. Kudos!

  5. #5
    Linda
    Guest

    Re: How do i count numbers and letters to find a total count of al

    Thanks PCLIVE.