a formula that leaves cell "empty"?

  1. #1
    Arizona

    a formula that leaves cell "empty"?

    Is there such a formula that will leave a cell empty? Example: I use the formula SUM(...) to add up orders...but, if there are no orders in that category, then the cell will have the value of "0.0". Is there any way to leave the cell blank (with the formula still in there) when there are no orders? I really need help on this, it's driving me mad!!! Any help would be sweet.

    Thanks! -Sarah

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: a formula that leaves cell "empty"?

    =if(isblank(a1),"",sum(a1:a5)) or perhaps =if(sum(a1:a5)=0,"",sum(a1:a5)

    ************
    Anne Troy
    VBA Project Manager
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "sarahmross" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Puls
    Guest

    Re: a formula that leaves cell "empty"?

    Hi there,

    Try nesting your Sum formula within an If Formula

    =If(Sum(A1:A10)=0,"",Sum(A1:A10))

    --
    Ken Puls

  4. #4
    Jason Clement
    Guest

    RE: a formula that leaves cell "empty"?

    You can also specify a custom format in your number format, using your
    example I'm assuming your showin 1 decimal place:

    Click Format->Cells
    On the Number tab click Custom.
    In the box at the top of the list type -> 0.0;-0.0;;@
    This will make the cell blank when the value is 0.

  5. #5
    Arizona

    Smile

    Anne,

    Thank you so much!! The second formula worked for me,
    the =IF(SUM(C1:C5)=0,"",SUM(C1:C5)). It did what was needed, entered nothing in the cell, and still kept the sum formula....

    Hats off to you, thank you once again!

    Sarah

  6. #6
    Arizona
    Jason and Ken....

    Thanks for the extra tips...this is really appreciated guys, thanks SO much....

    Sarah

  7. #7
    Anne Troy
    Guest