how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

  1. #1
    Debi
    Guest

    how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

    I am atempting to count how many occurances there are when two criteria are
    met in the same row but different cells For example in row b there are
    initials and in row j there are two different letter f and h. I would like
    the total number of rows that have the initials DR in column b and the letter
    f in column j. Sound simple but I can't seem to get it

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

    =sumproduct(--(B1:B1000="DR"),--(J1:J1000="f"))

  3. #3
    Debi
    Guest

    RE: how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

    Thanks for your assistance.
    Woud you be able to clarify one thing for me thougjh? What do the double
    minus sign represent (--)

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B:B100="DR"),--(J1:J100="F"))

    Better:

    A1 = DR
    A2 = F

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(B:B100=A1),--(J1:J100=A2))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: how do I count the numbers of row that meet 2 criteria

    Debi -

    The portion of the formula that reads (B1:B1000="DR") will return an array
    of TRUE and FALSE values. The -- operator converts the Trues to 1 and the
    Falses to 0. Sumproduct then multiplies each element in the array by the
    corresponding element in the other array, and sums the products. The factors
    are all 1s and 0s, so the only ones that yield a non-zero product are the
    ones where both logical tests are TRUE.