Excel Function returning negative 0

  1. #1

    Excel Function returning negative 0

    Hi there,

    I am trying to run a function here but it seems that the function will return a negative value only if the values are as follows.

    A: 84.90
    B: 57.16
    C: 27.74

    Excel function:
    =IF((+A-B-C)=A,0,(+B+A-C))

    if I am to play around with values B and C. I will be able to get a positive 0.
    i.e. 57.15, 27.75 or 57.17,27.73

    Hope someone can help.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    I was never good at maths, but am I correct in thinking that

    IF((+A-B-C)=A
    is the same as
    IF((-B-C)=0
    and the same as
    IF(B+C=0
    and the opposite of
    IF(B+C

    which would then reduce to

    =IF(B+C,A+B-C,0)

    which should give zero only when B and C are equal and opposite, or when A+B-C totals zero.

    Does this help your thoughts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibertram
    Hi there,

    I am trying to run a function here but it seems that the function will return a negative value only if the values are as follows.

    A: 84.90

  3. #3
    damorrison
    Guest

    Re: Excel Function returning negative 0

    (-B-C)won't equal zero unless C=(-B)

    where are the numbers coming from, are there decimals

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Excel Function returning negative 0

    =(A-B-C)
    (your plus sign is not needed) returns 1.06581410364015E-14. I can't
    figure out where you think you are getting "negative 0", but I will
    guess that you are probably mystified as to why this calculation is not
    zero.

    Excel (and almost all other general purpose software) does binary math.
    Most terminating decimal fractions are non-terminating binary
    fractions (just as 1/3 is a non-terminating decimal fraction) and hence
    must be approximated. When you do math with approximate inputs, then it
    should be no surprise if the outputs are only approximate. Consequently
    your tests should allow for these approximations, as in
    =IF(ROUND(A-B-C,2)=0,...
    (assuming that you intended your formula to compare to zero instead of A)

    Jerry