drop down for excel?

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    drop down for excel?

    how do i assign 7 different sale types to have 7 different percentage values

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: drop down for excel?

    Mike

    Your question is very vague. If you have a combobox from the 'forms'
    toolbar then you can set up a lookup table in a hidden sheet and then use
    the index of the selection to look it up using the INDEX function.

    Perhaps post back with some more information on what you currently have and
    I'm sure someone will help.

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: drop down for excel?

    Sounds that you want a table of types in one column, percentages in another,
    then use VLOOKUP to lookup the text into that table, like

    =VLOOKUP(type,lookup_table,2,False)

    RP

  4. #4
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: drop down for excel?

    ok i have 4 sales people and they can sell an Item 7 different ways. all 7
    have different % of commmission. I want to be able to have a drop down box
    that lets me choose which sale type it is and it will automatically put in
    the percentage of the sale type

    ex Bob sells item a this way and gets 10%---if he sell it this way he gets
    15% etc..

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: drop down for excel?

    Mike

    (Scenario: Drop downs on Sheet1 range A2:A500, lookup table for 7 different
    types of commission on Sheet2 Range A2:B8. Commission description in A2:A8
    and the commission value in B2:B8. Change for you scenario)

    I would use data validation

    Select the range for the drop-downs and go to Data>Validation. Select
    'list' from the dropdown and in the source box type your commission types
    separated by commas.

    Go to Sheet2 and in A2:A8 enter the same descriptions for the commissions,
    exactly as you have in the data validation box and then in Sheet2 range
    B2:B8 enter the corresponding commission values

    In my scenario in Sheet1 B2 enter

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,FALSE))

    You could use a single VLOOKUP but the ISERROR places a blank if there is
    nothing selected in the dropdown to the left.

    Now drag this formula down to B500 (in my scenario) and now when you select
    a value from a dropdown in columnA the value should appear alongside