How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (binding)

  1. #1
    Blue
    Guest

    How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (binding)

    I have my client list in rows. One row per client. The last column in the
    each row has the state abriviation. I want to sort this column and have my
    client list sorted by state. I need to bind the rows as a unit. Because when
    I sort the last column the states sort, but they don't carry the entire row
    with them. Please help.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (binding)

    Select all used columns before sorting. When you do the sort of the state
    column, the other will follow.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Blue
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    Gary"s Student,
    I tried selecting all used columns, but they are all merged in different
    sizes. It just sorts the single column of states. Do I just highlight the
    column letter on the top to select them?

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    In fact, go to the upper left hand corner and select the entire sheet. Then
    sort by the state column.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    If you are still having trouble read:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlSort01.html
    --
    Gary''s Student

  6. #6
    Blue
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    Gary, When I select the whole sheet and then hold ctrl and select the top
    cell in the state column and sort. Message says can't select multi-columns.
    Try one only. So when I do it sorts states only.

  7. #7
    Blue
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    it is saying all merged cell have to be the same size.

  8. #8
    Blue
    Guest

    RE: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    I keep get the note about merged cell must be exact size. I have adjusted
    the rows and columns to have all the merged cells the same size. I click on
    upper left corner to select the worksheet. Go to the pulldown of sort under
    data and chose the state column for the sort. AND THE NOTE pops up about the
    merged cells. I Know they are the exact size. What is causing this?? Need a
    little Help. Take care, Blue

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    *Unmerge* your cells, and use "Center Across Selection" instead.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Blue
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    RAG DUDE,
    This worked Great. I thank you for your help. When I am making columns of
    data, is it best to leave them unmerged?

  11. #11
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    Absolutely!

    What you came up against is only one of the many problems that "Merge"
    causes.

    To be used only as the ultimate "last resort".

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  12. #12
    Zgb
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How can I sort one column and have the entire row sort. (bindi

    @Gary, thx it worked like a charm xo