PLEASE HELP--going crazy with a simple calculation

  1. #1
    diane
    Guest

    PLEASE HELP--going crazy with a simple calculation

    I have 'asked' Excel to divide two cells (each cell has been set to "number;
    2 digits")
    The numerator is a cell that refers to another cell, where the value of the
    original cell entered states 15000 (number, 2 digits); the denominator refers
    to a cell that is a formula that states .67, but this is a reference to two
    other cells that produce that number. All of my manual calculators state the
    value should be 22388, but Excel states the value as 22500?? What have I
    done wrong??
    NOTE: when I manually type in .67 into the formula cell the resulting value
    correctly shows 22388 -- so it must be because of the multiple reference--but
    it does give me a circular reference error.
    (I thought this may have been because I originally created the worksheet in
    Excel 97; so I saved it into Excel 2003--still no affect)
    If you would like the file, please e-mail me direct and I will send it
    along: [email protected]
    THANKS SO MUCH!

  2. #2
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: PLEASE HELP--going crazy with a simple calculation

    Sounds like a rounding problem.
    Assume the denominator is in cell 'B1'.
    Change your formula to use the rounding function, so you have something
    like...
    Round(B1,2)
    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

  3. #3
    diane
    Guest

    RE: PLEASE HELP--going crazy with a simple calculation

    Thank you, Gary--it is definitely a rounding issue (I just checked Evaluate
    Formula and it apparently thinks the number is .666666666...7, which then
    eqauls 22500, even though I ask it to use only 2 digits--which I thought
    usually forces it to 'round'). I'm not sure I know how to modify it as you
    have stated here--please clarify.
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    diane
    Guest

    RE: PLEASE HELP--going crazy with a simple calculation

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Gary! Now that I see it is
    clearly a rounding issue, I checked the help section and it said I should
    click "precision as displayed" --I had thought of that earlier, but was
    hesitant since it said "my accuracy will never be correct"--that did not
    sound good; but I gave it a shot--the formulas came out perfect. I guess the
    only time one would notice this is with that 'pertpetual' numbers : 66666...7
    Thanks for setting me straight! I feel so much better after spending hours
    re-vamping this spreadsheet a 'hundred times'!!