How can I sort in groups of 3 rows?

  1. #1
    Blue
    Guest

    How can I sort in groups of 3 rows?

    How can I sort in groups of 3 rows? I have client infor in 5 columns and a
    sixth column for a state abbr. to sort by. In the column format I used center
    across section unstead of merging 3 columns to get excell to sort the entire
    row when sorting the States. This worked well, when each client had only one
    row. Now each client has three rows and 5x3 and 1x1 columns. How can I group
    the rows without merging?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I sort in groups of 3 rows?

    Blue

    First of all, if you select all the columns prior to sorting on one of them
    the entire row will stay together.

    Second you can keep three rows together only if you have data common to all
    three rows.

    e.g.

    qwerty row 1
    row 2
    row 3
    asdfgh row 1
    row 2
    row 3

    You can keep row 1, 2 and 3 togther if you replicate qwerty in the other two
    rows.

    Select column A then F5>Special>Blanks>OK

    In active cell type = sign then point to cell above and hit CTRL + ENTER.

    Copy/paste special>Values>OK>Esc.

    Sort on column A.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP