Entering Same Formula to A Full Staring from Say Row 5 Column.....

  1. #1
    Dermot
    Guest

    Entering Same Formula to A Full Staring from Say Row 5 Column.....

    Can anyone advise me how to number the first column of my worksheet.
    I want the number to automatically increment when I enter the first cell of
    following row. I do not want this number to be entered manually.
    I need to be able to delete rows randomly and for the the row numbers to
    automatically renumber in numerical order with no numerical gaps.
    For example if I have a column 1,2,3,4,5, and delete 3, I would like the
    column to automatically renumber as 1234 and not 1,2,4,5.
    I hope I have explained myself correctly. I have a copy of Excel 2002
    InsideOut, but can't find a method to do this.
    Please supply an example if possible.
    I tried =ROW() but cna't get it into all the rows to test if I can maintain
    my numerical record numbering when a ROW is deleated.
    Please Advise
    Thanks
    Dermot

    Another relevant question...although basic.....
    I will try to keep it brief....
    I know how to enter the formula in a cell
    I could enter the formula in say a group of 20 Cells manually...
    I do not know how a shortcut method to enter the formula in all the cells
    beyond say row 4 to say infinity.....this would save me the need to return at
    a later date to
    enter the formula manually every time the rows I have previously entered
    enter the formula in run out (Used as a record).
    I have tried experimenting with copy and paste but do not get the results I
    expected.
    Thanks
    Dermot

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Entering Same Formula to A Full Staring from Say Row 5 Column.....

    See one response to your follow-on query
    in your earlier post in microsoft.public.excel.
    And I thought Bob Phillips had answered
    your orig. post there earlier ?
    (Kindly refrain from multi-posting)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Dermot
    Guest

    Re: Entering Same Formula to A Full Staring from Say Row 5 Column.

    Hi Max,
    I apologise for multi-posting. It was not intended to annoy.
    I appreciated Bobs reply and overlooked ticking the "notifications" box.
    Thinking he was away to reply I reposted because From what I thought, using
    the formula =ROW() if a row is deleted, wouldn't it skip a number in the
    numerical order?
    I appreciate you guys / gals answering my questions.
    My enthusiasim and determination to find a solution no matter how simple it
    may be to yourselves, was the culprate of the double posting.
    Regards
    Dermot

  4. #4
    Dermot
    Guest

    Re: Entering Same Formula to A Full Staring from Say Row 5 Column.

    Hi Max,
    I reviewed Bobs solution with a fresh mind, and it does solve my poblem,
    thanks.
    After deleting the row, I overlooked double clicking in the bottom right
    corner of the cell above the point where the deletion took place and where
    the break in numerical sequence starts. The double clicking rectifying the
    numerical sequence.
    Thanks again for your response.

  5. #5
    Max

    "Dermot" wrote:
    > .. After deleting the row, I overlooked double clicking
    > in the bottom right corner of the cell above the point
    > where the deletion took place and where
    > the break in numerical sequence starts.
    > The double clicking rectifying the numerical sequence.

    Found it puzzling why you had to do the above, for row deletions*. The
    formula: =ROW() should auto-calc for the rows below which move up. If you
    had earlier filled it say to A1:A100, and then you subsequently deleted say,
    row50, the re-numbering of all the impacted 49 rows below which move up
    should be automatic, w/o requiring another formula fill op. Is the calc
    mode switched onto Manual, by any chance ? (Check via: Tools > Options >
    Calculation tab)

    *For insertions of new rows in between, yes, but not for deletions.
    --
    Rgds
    Max