Nesting Index and Match Functions

  1. #1
    Malone
    Guest

    Nesting Index and Match Functions

    I have 2 worksheets that I need to compare "Part No" and "LCN" to return the
    "PLSIN" associated with the match between the worksheets of the two data
    points. Can anyone provide guidance?

    --
    God Bless!

  2. #2

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    So part numbers go down (say) column A and LCN's go across (say) row 1.

    If yes, then take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site:

    She's got a few examples there.

  3. #3
    Malone
    Guest

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    No. All of the data is in columns. I need to pull the "PLISN" from
    Worksheet "ALSTAR" into Worksheet "SLIC" ased on a match of data in column
    "A" and "B". Both worksheets contain the same data columns (ie, Part No,
    LCN, PLISN).

    Example:

    "A" "B" "C"
    Part No. LCN PLISN
    4116-2 AFY BFGC
    5678 AFC AFER
    ETC.
    --
    God Bless!

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    Try this *array* formula in C2 of SLIC:

    =INDEX(ALSTAR!$C$2:$C$100,MATCH(1,(ALSTAR!$A$2:$A$100=A2)*(ALSTAR!$B$2:$B$10
    0=B2),0))

    And copy down as needed.
    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Malone
    Guest

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    Dave,

    I tried the link you sent, and I tried one of the sample formulas from that
    web site, but I am still getting "#NA". The follwing is the formula I am
    using

    =INDEX(ALSTAR!$C$2:$C$49878,MATCH(TEXT(B19,"00000"),ALSTAR!$A$2:$A$49878,0),MATCH(TEXT(E19,"00000"),ALSTAR!$D$2:$D$39999,0))

    I am using the "TEXT" function because there is a mixture of text and
    numbers in the data. I want the "PLISN" from the "ALSTAR" worksheet to
    appear in the "SLIC" worksheet in the column "ALSTAR PLISN". A sample of the
    data follows:

    SLIC Worksheet

    (B) (E) (F) (G)
    (J) (K)
    SLIC ALSTAR
    Ref. No.* Provn. LCN* Provn. ALC* LCN Type* PLISN PLISN
    4116-337 AFALCASY 1 P EHMA
    24A55B AFALCANY 0 P DVTA
    M6325 AFZ 0 P ZKFA
    AN833-6D AFAEACRY 0 P BQFA
    24-00157-823 AFALCAFY 3 P FJMA
    24-00157-823 AFALEAAY 3 P HGDA
    24-00157-823 AFANAAREY 0 P JPPA
    24-00157-823 AFASGY 0 P KZSA

    ALSTAR Worksheet

    (A) (B) (C) (D)
    REFN PCCN PLISN LCN
    13347750 ELBACE AAAA AF
    13347750 ELBDUM AAAA AF
    13347750 ELBDUM AAAA AF
    13347750 ELBACE AAAA AF
    13347750 ELBDUM AAAA AF
    13347750 ELBDUM AAAA AF

    --
    God Bless!

  6. #6

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    If your data isn't laid out as a nice table, then my suggestion won't work.

    But RagDyeR's suggestion should.

  7. #7
    Malone
    Guest

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    Dear RagDyeR,

    I went back and used the formula in a different cell, and it worked! Praise
    the Lord.

    Thank you so much for helping.

    --
    God Bless!

  8. #8
    Malone
    Guest

    Re: Nesting Index and Match Functions

    RagDyeR,

    Thank you for responding. I tried the formula, but I am still receiving a
    returned value of "#NA". Any suggestions?

    --
    God Bless!