Help with a f(x) formula

  1. #1
    Brad Lindsey
    Guest

    Help with a f(x) formula

    I have a data table with 5 columns and 18 rows. I have data validation
    pull-down menus in separate cells, one each for selecting the column and row
    headers data. In a third (adjacent) cell, I want to return the value that
    corresponds to the selected values in the table. Seems simple enough, but I
    am stumped.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Help with a f(x) formula

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:12:02 -0800, Brad Lindsey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a data table with 5 columns and 18 rows. I have data validation
    >pull-down menus in separate cells, one each for selecting the column and row
    >headers data. In a third (adjacent) cell, I want to return the value that
    >corresponds to the selected values in the table. Seems simple enough, but I
    >am stumped.

    If your columns and rows are NAME'd by their header,
    and if your cells where the user selects the names are A2 and B2,
    then the formula:

    =indirect(a2) indirect(B2)

    will return the contents of the cell at the intersection those named ranges.
    Note the <space> between the two indirect functions.

    If the columns and rows are NOT NAME'd, then try this formula:

    =INDEX(DataTable,MATCH(B2,RowLabels,0)+1,MATCH(A2,ColLabels,0)+1)

    DataTable is the entire table including the presumably empty cell in the upper
    left corner.

    ColLabels is the row of column headers
    RowLabels is the column of row headers.

    So if DataTable were $D$1:$I$19, ColLabels would be $E$1:$I$1 and RowLabels
    would be $D$2:$D$19

    --ron