find cells that contain specific characters

  1. #1
    mshornet
    Guest

    find cells that contain specific characters

    How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of a
    long line of cells?

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Hi!

    What does: "pull them out of a long line of cells" mean?

    Can you provide some examples?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roland
    Guest

    RE: find cells that contain specific characters

    Try using the funtionality found from the main menu Edit > Find.

  4. #4
    mshornet
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Thanks for your reply. What I would like to do is search a column of cells
    and contain text. Some of the cells contain the letters "vo". Others do
    not. I want to select those cells that contain "vo" and copy them to another
    column.

  5. #5
    mshornet
    Guest

    RE: find cells that contain specific characters

    Thanks. I should explain my problem better. I have a long column of cells
    that contain text. Some of these cells have the characters "VO" in them. I
    want to find those cells and make a new column of cells with only those cells
    that contained "VO" in them.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Hi!

    The easiest way:

    Assume the data is in the range A2:A100, A1 is the column header.

    Select cell A1
    Goto Data>Filter>AutoFilter
    Click the arrow that appears in cell A1
    Select CUSTOM
    From the drop down that says EQUALS, select CONTAINS
    In the box to the right enter: vo
    Click OK.

    Do your copy/paste

    Then turn off the filter:

    Data >Filter>AutoFilter (selecting AutoFilter toggles it on or off)

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Data>Filter>Autofilter

    Filter on VO then copy those cells to another column.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    mshornet
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Thank you. Sorry for my slow response. Thanks again.

  9. #9
    mshornet
    Guest

    Re: find cells that contain specific characters

    Thanks. Sorry for my slow reply. Thanks again.