Date format default problem

  1. #1
    Hood
    Guest

    Date format default problem

    If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
    February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
    straightening the matter.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Date format default problem

    I think you could either:

    Edit>Format
    \Category: TEXT
    So anything you type in the cell will be treated as text.

    OR

    Type an apostrophe before the number, forcing Excel to treat the input as
    text.
    Example:
    A1: '02/2668

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3

    Re: Date format default problem

    preformat the cell as text (format|Cells|number tab|Text)

    or prefix your entry with an apostrophe:

    '02/2668

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Date format default problem

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:26:06 -0800, "Hood" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
    >February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
    >straightening the matter.

    It depends on what you what to do.

    If you want to enter it as a string, then pre-format the cell as text; or
    precede your entry with an apostrophe (single quote) or a <space>.

    If you want to enter it as a fraction, then enter it as 0 2/2668

    --ron

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Date format default problem

    Correction of my previous post.

    That should be:
    Edit>Format>Number
    \Category: TEXT

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Yikes....my brain stopped working

    Wow....I think I might have forgotten everything I knew about Excel!

    Edit>FORMAT????.....NO!

    Format>Cells>Number....Yes. (sheesh!)

    Regards,
    Ron