Copying a total from another Sheet

  1. #1

    Copying a total from another Sheet

    I have a workbook setup with about 15 worksheets. Each sheet (except the 1st) represents an office budget, and has a total at the bottom of the cost column (basic "sum" total). The first sheet has the totals of all the offices, which are then totaled. I'm trying to determine if it is possible to have the 1st sheet update an office's total, when a value in that particular office's sheet is changed. I've tried referencing each sheet's total on the 1st sheet, but it just copies the exact formula, so it totals the fourth column on the 1st sheet (which is blank).
    I'm not sure if it's possible to copy a total formula, and then to have those copied totals totaled, for a grand total figure.
    Hope this makes sense. If not, just let me know and I'll try and explain it better.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Copying a total from another Sheet

    try putting the total in the same place on each sheet
    =sum(firstsheet:lastsheet!a1)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Copying a total from another Sheet

    You should be able to reference the cells with the total in them. For
    instance a cell in Sheet1 can reference A4 in Sheet2 with
    =Sheet2!A4

  4. #4
    William Horton
    Guest

    RE: Copying a total from another Sheet

    It sounds like you are trying to copy the formula / cell from the other
    sheets to sheet 1. Instead try typing in a cell in sheet 1 "=Sheet2A1" where
    A1 = the cell reference of the value that you want to return. Then whenever
    the value in Sheet2A1 changes, it should also change on sheet 1 where you
    entered the formula.

    You could also put on sheet 1 if you wish "=Sheet2A1 + Sheet3A1 + etc".

    Hope this helps.

    Bill Horton

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copying a total from another Sheet

    Bill

    An easier method for your formula if A1 of each sheet is to be summed.

    =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet15!A1)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP