Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

  1. #1
    creativeops
    Guest

    Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

    Okay, I have 2 columns, Topic & Subtopic. The topic column cells are data
    validated with a drop-down menu to a range of 30 values on another sheet
    labelled "Topic". In the next column, Subtopic, I want the cells to also be
    data validated with a drop-down menu, but dependent on the value in the Topic
    column. So that each Topic has a unique set of Subtopics to choose from.

    I figured out how to make a List Data Validation that has a nested if/then
    function for the Source, which works, but you can only nest up to 7 if/then
    functions, which limits me to 7 topics, when in fact there is about 30.

    Any ideas? Thanks

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

    See:

    Regards
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

    See Debra Dalgleish's "dependent lists" page.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    creativeops
    Guest

    Re: Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

    Very good, thank you!

  5. #5
    creativeops
    Guest

    Re: Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?)

    Excellent, thanks!