Remove html markup

  1. #1
    Stuart
    Guest

    Remove html markup

    How do I remove HTML markup from and cell.

    i.e.
    <DIV class=productdesc> <H3>SCALLYWAGS CHANGING MAT. </H3><TABLE border=0>
    <TBODY> <TR> <TD> <UL> <LI>Foam-filled <LI>Wipe-clean surface <LI>Fits most
    dressers <LI>dimensions: 75 x 46cm </LI></UL></TD></TR>
    <TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <UL> <LI>When using a changing mat on a dresser or
    other raised surface, never leave your baby unattended even for a moment
    </LI></UL></P></DIV>

    I want it to read:-

    SCALLYWAGS CHANGING MAT. Foam-filled Wipe-clean surface Fits most dressers
    dimensions: 75 x 46cm When using a changing mat on a dresser or other
    raised surface, never leave your baby unattended even for a moment

    I am trying to change out website csv file into a froogle csv file but
    without the HTML

    Thanks in advance

    Stuart

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    I think this will get you most of the way there:
    Edit>Replace:
    Find What: <*>
    Replace with: (this should be blank)
    Click the [Replace] button until you're sure it's doing what you want. Then,
    click the [Replace All] button.

    That will leave some extraneous spaces, so do another Find/Replace for
    double spaces and, again, replace them with nothing.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    I have over 2500 products to do so that would take some finding and
    replacing. Is there no formula or script that I can use to do this
    automatically.

    Regards

    Stuart

  4. #4
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    I have just tried that and it gives me the error message "formula to long"

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    OK...more information is good....but...

    How about:
    Q: Are all 2500 products in one sheet?
    If yes, you don't have to Edit/Replace one at a time; you can click the
    [Replace all] button. Did you do that?

    Q: Are they all in one workbook?
    If yes, group the sheets together (Select the first sheet, hold down the
    [Shift] key, then select the last sheet). Then, do the same Edit/Replace as
    above.

    Q: Multiple workbooks?
    How many workbooks? If only a few, then use the above technique on each.
    If many...well...let's see if we need to cross that bridge.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  6. #6
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    All 2500 products are on one sheet, if you want an example i can give you an
    example but it will take up alot off room in here and can out it on the
    server as a download so you can see what Im talking about

    Regards
    Stuart

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    How many characters are in the cell? Is there something about the cell to
    make Excel think it's a formula (plus sign, equal sign, etc)?

    (Anybody else have thoughts about this?)

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  8. #8
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    www.underonelink.com/help.xls

  9. #9
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    Yikes! I just checked the file.
    Each of those cells has many thousands of characters.....evidently, too many
    for Find/Replace to handle.

    I'm going to hope that somebody has already programmed a solution, because
    so far, I haven't come up with any tricks that have worked.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  10. #10
    Stuart
    Guest

    RE: Remove html markup

    Hi Ron

    Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated. Just hope someone has already
    done this like you said. Fingers crossed.

    Thanks again

    Regards

    Stuart

  11. #11

    Re: Remove html markup

    Since you're fixing a .csv file, maybe excel isn't the best choice.

    If you visit shareware.com, you can find lots of programs to clean up HTML
    files.

  12. #12
    KC
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Not sure if I'm on the right track here with this suggestion ...

    If the HTML is being copied from the web, copy if to Notepad first,
    then copy from Notepad into Excel. Notepad will clean it up and get
    rid of the HTML code.

    Kaye

  13. #13
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    The csv file is a database feed from our e-commerce site, so adding them one
    by one to notepad to remove the html would take a long time.

    Regards

    Stuart

  14. #14
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Hi Stuart,
    I would go to Steve Miller's http://www.stevemiller.net/apps/
    and install Pure Text then you can copy the HTML from an HTML page
    click on the PT system taskbar button, and paste into notepad.

    If you start from the Excel sheet, copy from the column, Paste into notepad,
    save as HTML (junk.htm) from notepad, open the junk.htm file with your
    browser, copy the everything on the sheet (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) then paste
    into notepad and you will have your text. After you have installed and
    used Pure Text the process should take about 3 minutes to convert in that
    manner.
    ---
    HTH,

  15. #15
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Hi David.

    Thanks for that, the only problem with that is it leaves lots of blank cells
    when pasted back into excel. I've even tried saving the spreadsheet as csv
    and text file to see if that would help when pasted back into excel. No luck
    there.

    Any more ideas greatly accepted.

    Regards

    Stuar

  16. #16
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Hi, Stuart

    See if this works for you....

    Copy the list of HTML cells from Excel to MS Word.

    In MS Word:
    Edit>Replace
    Find what: \<*\>
    Replace with: (leave this blank)
    Click the [More] button to see search options and select: Use Wildcards
    Click the [Replace All] button

    Then...Edit>Replace
    Find what: (enter 2 spaces)
    Click the [Replace All] button
    -That will eliminate strings of spaces

    Then...Edit>Replace
    Find what: &nbsp
    Replace with: (enter 1 space)
    Click the [Replace All] button
    -That will replace non-breaking space codes with 1 space

    Finally:
    Select the whole Word document
    Edit>Copy
    Select the first HTML cell in Excel
    Edit>Paste

    It might not be perfect, but is it close enough?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  17. #17
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Hi Stuart,
    Each of your original cells was an entire formatted webpage, less pictures.
    If you convert the text in one cell to plain text and bring it back into
    Excel you are going to generated a lot empty lines due to paragraphs
    which are necessary for humans to be able to read, and each
    cell when brought back into Excel is going to take many cells (vertically).

    You aren't going to be able read whole web pages in single cells no
    matter what you do, so why not use links to the original web pages,
    or to your archived copy of those web pages.

    If you are trying to do some search on keywords on your machine
    you could use Google Desktop on your machine, or Google to search
    the site you want to search (limited to 32 words per search).

    If you want the material back in their original cells, you will have to
    use a macro like your first suggestion to remove the < > and
    everything in between (and replace with a space), it would be pretty
    much unreadable, but it would match your initial post in this thread. .

    Maybe if you stated the actual purpose, you might get suggestions
    for other applications, because I don't see how storing this in Excel
    is going to be efficient -- check the size of your Excel file.. .

    ---
    HTH,

  18. #18
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Hi David.

    Our website is dtabase driven so the product pages are what Im trying to
    change in the csv file. The reason I want to chage them to plain text is so I
    can use the full description of the product in shopping comparison sites like
    google, price grabber, price runner and ciao. These only accpet product
    descriptions in plain text so all the html has to be removed.

    Regards

    Stuart

  19. #19
    Stuart
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    That works fine, I also added

  20. #20
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Remove html markup

    Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you finally got something you could
    work with.

    Regards,
    Ron