Do I Need to Use an IF Statement?

  1. #1

    Do I Need to Use an IF Statement?

    Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm not sure if I need to use an IF statement to acheive the desired results.

    Column I has numeric values from 0 - 30 in it. In Column J I want to be able to show some goupings for instance 1 - 5, 6 - 11, 12 - 17 etc. This would be determined by the value in Column D.

    It would look like the below example:

    Column I Column J
    10 6 - 11 Days Out
    5 1 - 5 Days Out
    3 1 - 5 Days Out
    16 12 - 17 Days Out

    I was using the folowing IF statement which works from 1 - 5 and 6 - 11, but now I am stuck. =IF(I5<6,"1-5 Days Out",IF(I5>5,"6 - 11 Days Out"))

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. #2
    Marcotte A
    Guest

    RE: Do I Need to Use an IF Statement?

    It might be easier just to set up a lookup table. On another worksheet (or
    somewhere else on the current worksheet) put the break points (i.e. 1, 6, 12)
    in the first column, then the descriptions in the second column. Then use
    this formula in column J:

    =vlookup(I1,'OtherSheet'$A$1:$B$3,2,1)

  3. #3
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Do I Need to Use an IF Statement?

    I don't know if this is what you want, (and I seem to be stuck in LOOKUP
    mode tonight).

    What I did was to make a table in D1:E6 (with Column E formatted as text)
    like:

    D E
    1 1 1 - 5
    2 6 6 - 11
    3 12 12 - 17
    4 18 18 - 23
    5 24 19 - 30
    6 31 Error in

    I used the formula:

    =LOOKUP(I1,D1:D6,E1:E6&" Days out")

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    "jgp_2" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for your help everyone! I went the LOOKUP route and it worked.