How easy is it to loop in VBA based on cell contents?

  1. #1
    Lee Harris
    Guest

    How easy is it to loop in VBA based on cell contents?

    I have a function in code that I added via the built in form designer

    Option Explicit
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Application.Calculate
    End Sub

    I access that with Alt-F11

    How easy is it for me to change this such that after the relevant
    Application.Calculate, it looks at the value in a specific cell on a
    specific sheet, and if it's 1, then do Application.Calculate again, up to a
    maximum of N times

    I'm just not sure of the syntax when referring to cells etc

    My application selects a football play from a list based on the game
    situation, but there are specific situations where certain plays can't be
    called. It would be a pain to code that in to the randomising on the sheets,
    so what I'm trying to do essentially in quasi-code is

    Private Sub ClickEventHandler()

    iter=0

    Do Application.Calculate
    iter++
    While Rules$a$1 AND iter < N
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How easy is it to loop in VBA based on cell contents?

    How about:

    Sub Macro1()
    For i = 1 To 37
    j = Sheets("Sheet3").Range("A1").Value
    If j = 1 Then
    Exit For
    Else
    Application.Calculate
    End If
    Next

    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Lee Harris
    Guest

    Re: How easy is it to loop in VBA based on cell contents?

    "Gary''s Student" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How about:
    >
    > Sub Macro1()
    > For i = 1 To 37
    > j = Sheets("Sheet3").Range("A1").Value
    > If j = 1 Then
    > Exit For
    > Else
    > Application.Calculate
    > End If
    > Next

    > Gary's Student

    thanks, that looks great, I just wasn't sure what the syntax was though I
    guessed the approximate format!

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How easy is it to loop in VBA based on cell contents?

    Shouldn't it read?

    If J <> 1 Then

    You wanted to iterate if A1 was 1 and not if something else.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP