the answer to appear in more than one cell

  1. #1
    LHorse
    Guest

    the answer to appear in more than one cell

    Using a spreadsheet I need a chart that would return the answer across the
    rows.
    Where the total is equal to the starting number. To answer how many lessons
    can be taught each day to achieve the goal per week. My problem lies in that
    I need whole numbers.
    example
    Goal per week 21
    Sunday 8
    Monday 4
    Tuesday 3
    Wednesday 2
    Thursday 2
    Friday 2

    Total 21

    Thanks Laura

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: the answer to appear in more than one cell

    One way:

    Assume the Goal per week value is in B1, number for Sunday in B2, etc.:

    B2: =INT(B$1/6)
    B3: =INT((B$1-SUM(B$2:B2))/(8-ROW()))

    Copy down to B6.

    Then in B7 (Friday) enter:

    =B$1-SUM(B2:B6)

  3. #3
    LHorse
    Guest

    Re: the answer to appear in more than one cell

    Hi

    I copied the formula, made the change to cell reference and it says
    not a valid works function, any suggestions?
    > B3: =INT((B$1-SUM(B$2:B2))/(8-ROW()))

    Thanks Laura

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: the answer to appear in more than one cell

    Sorry, I know less than nothing about Works. You might try the

    microsoft.public.works.win

    newsgroup.

  5. #5
    LHorse
    Guest

    RE: the answer to appear in more than one cell

    Hi I used the "=INT(B$1/6)" formula, copied down the rows and I got what I
    wanted. I did not quite understand how to use the row function though,
    thanks a lot for your help, Laura