look up function and sum values

  1. #1
    mike
    Guest

    look up function and sum values

    I have a large spreadsheet that has vendor #s in column A and amounts in
    column B. How do i get excel to look at all the matching vendor #s in column
    A and add up all the corresponding values in column C and return the vendor #
    and totals? There are multiple orders from the same vendors and I just want a
    total for each returned along with the vendor #.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: look up function and sum values

    If you want ALL the vendors listed along with $, I'd suggest a Pivot Table;
    highlight your data then go to the menu bar and Data > Pivot Table and Chart
    Report... Let the wizard guide you, and drop the vendor in the row field and
    the $ in the data field.
    If you want a particular vendor's total, use sumif:
    =sumif(a:a,"VendorName",b:b).

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: look up function and sum values

    Hi Mike,

    =SUMIF(A1:A6,1234,B1:B6)

    Where 1234 is the vendor number. I believe is the v number has letters you
    will have to use "" around it "ABC1234" .

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    emrobertson
    Guest

    RE: look up function and sum values

    try using an IF function. set up column c with the following equation,
    =IF(A1=vendor #,B1,0).with this formula insert the actual vendor number where
    I typed vendor #. this should give you the values for every entry on that
    particular vendor one at a time in column c. I would designate that column
    for just one vendor. then in the next available space column d, e, f, what
    ever you want to use, you can use a SUM function for all of the values in
    column c