Dependent List (via Data Validation) Error

  1. #1
    Dezdan
    Guest

    Dependent List (via Data Validation) Error

    Using the Tutorial here:
    I created a dependent list via data validation. My data for both the
    main list and the dependent list are on the same sheet, though the
    lists are being used on another sheet in the same workbook. My trouble
    is creating the dependent data validation using the INDIRECT function.
    I am using: =INDIRECT(Data!A2) for which I receive the following
    error: "You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for
    Data Validation criteria." This is where I am currently stuck. I
    *really* do not want to have the data for the list on the same sheet
    that I am working on. Any help? Is there another way to create a
    dependent list and have it work across worksheets in the same workbook?

    Thanks,
    ~Dan

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Dependent List (via Data Validation) Error

    Hi!

    Just give Data!A2 a defined name and then refer to that defined name:

    Insert>Name>Define
    Name: DataA2
    Refers to: =Data!$A$2

    Then:

    =INDIRECT(DataA2)

    Using that type of naming convention allows you to easily identify DataA2 to
    mean Data!$A$2. (at least it's easy for me!)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dezdan
    Guest

    Re: Dependent List (via Data Validation) Error

    Thanks Biff!!! Your post allowed me to see that I was totally screwing
    up and making things way harder then they had to be. All fixed now!

    Thanks,
    ~Dan