vlookup and offset

  1. #1
    Rob M.
    Guest

    vlookup and offset

    I am trying to use and offset that starts the reference by utilizing a
    vlookup .

    OFFSET(VLOOKUP(D3,'02-00W-In$ight'!O7:X19,1,0),0,-9)
    This is what I have - it returns an error saying the formula contains an error

    help is appreciated.. thanks

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: vlookup and offset

    Try a combination of Index and Match something like:

    =INDEX('02-00W-In$ight'!F7:F19,MATCH(D3,'02-00W-In$ight'!O7:O19,0),1)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Dave Breitenbach
    Guest

    RE: vlookup and offset

    Rowan is correct. To elaborate...Offset needs a reference - not a value.
    Your vlookup is returning a value of the contents d3 - not "d3", since your
    asking it to return what matches the contents of d3 in the first column of
    your lookup range.
    Index/Match can return a reference to a cell which offset can understand.

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: vlookup and offset

    Some thoughts.. On the face of it, if the VLOOKUP evaluates to a defined
    range, think we could try wrapping INDIRECT around the VLOOKUP, so something
    like this should work:

    = OFFSET(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(D3,'02-00W-In$ight'!O7:X19,1,0)),0,-9)

    The above OFFSET expression would need to be array-entered* if the defined
    range returned is a multi-cell range, should the expression be in a cell on
    it's own, i.e. not nested within other functions.

    *press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, instead of just ENTER

    > ... VLOOKUP(D3,'02-00W-In$ight'!O7:X19,1,0)

    But .. think the VLOOKUP above evaluates the same as just having: = D3 ? If
    so, perhaps simply having:

    = OFFSET(INDIRECT(D3),0,-9)

    would do it
    --