Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

  1. #1
    Minitman
    Guest

    Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    Greetings,

    I have a weekly schedule that starts on the Sunday of the week of the
    first day of the month (unless it starts on a Saturday). Since this
    day will change almost every month, is there a special date command to
    accomplish this in a cell formula?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA

    -Minitman.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    What do you mean? Last Sunday of the month which is the Sunday before the
    first of the month (your subject line)?
    Or first Sunday of the month unless the first is a Saturday?

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    "Minitman" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >I have a weekly schedule that starts on the Sunday of the week of the
    >first day of the month (unless it starts on a Saturday). Since this
    >day will change almost every month, is there a special date command to
    >accomplish this in a cell formula?

    Given a date D, the last day of the previous month is always given by

    D-DAY(D)

    The last Sunday of the previous month is always given by

    D-DAY(D)-WEEKDAY(D-DAY(D),1)+1

    IF the following Saturday is the first day of the next month, then the last
    day of the previous month is Friday, so

    WEEKDAY(D-DAY(D),1)=6

    So when the first day of the month is a Saturday, I'd infer you'd want to
    treat that as the last day of the final week of the preceding month. If so,
    the first Sunday of the month is given by

    =D-DAY(D)-WEEKDAY(D-DAY(D),1)+IF(WEEKDAY(D-DAY(D),1)=6,8,1)

  4. #4
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    Hey Harlan,

    That is exactly what I was looking for - Thank You!

    -Minitman

  5. #5
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    Hey Harlan,

    There are two other dates that I need. The first day of the year for
    the month in question and a way to tell if the year in question is a
    leap year or not (This schedule I am making spans 13 years or more).

    Your continued assistance is very appreciated. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    Minitman wrote...
    >There are two other dates that I need. The first day of the year for
    >the month in question . . .

    =DATE(YEAR(D),1,1)

    > . . . and a way to tell if the year in question is a
    >leap year or not (This schedule I am making spans 13 years or more).

    =MONTH(DATE(YEAR(D),2,29))=2

  7. #7
    Minitman
    Guest

    Re: Date Command to Get the Sunday Before the First of the Month

    Thanks Harlan, this will take care of that problem nicely.

    -Minitman