Array Calculation Error

  1. #1

    Question Array Calculation Error

    I was wondering if anyone could help me with an error when I try to count scores that fall between a 0% - 67% range. If I leave it as 0% it does not count the cell. If I change the formula to 0.1% - 67% then it counts it. Any ideas?

    Here is the array in question:
    =SUM((I$6:I$28>=0.1%)*((I$6:I$28<=67%)*((C$6:C$28="Asian"))*1))

    I need it to accept the 0.1% as 0%.

    Thanks,
    Tobro

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    =SUM((I$6:I$28>=0)*(I$6:I$28<=67%)*(C$6:C$28="Asian"))

    works for me

    RP

    "Tobro88" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    Are you entering it as an *array* formula, using CSE?

    Also ... Any reason you can't use a non-array option?

    =SUMPRODUCT((I$6:I$28>=0%)*(I$6:I$28<=67%)*(C$6:C$28="Asian"))
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4

    No Idea

    I am not sure what CSE means so I assume that I am not using it. Like many people I have had the data collection duties thrown in my lap. I am learning on the fly. The array that you gave me with the plain 0 seemed to work. Can I use the *array* the rest of the way, or do you forsee problems?
    Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it!
    Todd

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    My automated explanation:
    --
    Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of
    the regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    NOW ... we're talking semantics here.
    Array formulas and data Arrays.

    It's usually wiser to try not to use array formulas where possible, since
    they tend to use more of XLs computing capability.

    Check out this link of Chip Pearson's for further info:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6

    Thanks!

    I guess that I was using CSE ! So, I assume that it should be safe to use unless I have a sizable sheet? Thanks for your help and the link!!
    Todd

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%23BrVsVR%[email protected]...

    > It's usually wiser to try not to use array formulas where possible, since
    > they tend to use more of XLs computing capability.

    All of the formulae that use array ranges, whether that be in array
    formulae, or as arrays in a non-array formula, use a lot of resources.

    I did some timings for my SP page (which I still need to post), and I found
    that SP using a double-unary operator was the quickest SP type, and was
    quicker than a SUM(IF((cond1)*(cond2), data), but other SP types (*,
    N,1*,+0) were as slow or slower. And surprisingl;y, the array type
    SUM(IF(cond1,IF(cond2,data)) was the fastest of all.

  8. #8
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    If you were properly entering the formula, how do you explain the incorrect
    return when using 0%?

    RD

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    In the past couple of months I've been made aware of numerous fallacies
    concerning the "old wives tales" of the efficiency of various procedures and
    functions, whether they pertain to arrays OR volatility.

    I would venture to say that the vast majority of threads in these groups are
    primarily relating to projects of *not* gigantic proportions, so that the
    actual capacity and/or capability of XL never really becomes a matter of
    significant importance ... EXCEPT among the responders themselves, for their
    own enlightenment and/or edification.

    Therefore, what you've just mentioned doesn't really surprise me at all.

    My own personal involvement in XL efficiency has been limited to a solitary
    function mix of replacing Vlookup with Index & Match, where a 40,000 to
    50,000 row dB WB was vastly improved by the revision.

    Everything else pertaining to speed and efficiency I've picked up here
    (whether true or false), within these groups.

    Therefore I would tend to believe that the main goal in putting forward
    suggested solutions would (should) be clarity and simplicity and
    understandability (is that a word?<g>), and let the efficiency syndrome take
    a back seat, except when either expressly mentioned, or insinuated, as part
    of the actual request.

    RD

    news:OVKTiXS%[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I would venture to say that the vast majority of threads in these groups are
    primarily relating to projects of *not* gigantic proportions, so that the
    actual capacity and/or capability of XL never really becomes a matter of
    significant importance ... EXCEPT among the responders themselves, for their
    own enlightenment and/or edification.

    snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I would bet that your assessment is correct!

    My biggest "pet peeve":

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,................)

    Who has time to count all those 9's and make sure you're using just the
    right amount?

    =LOOKUP(MAX(A:A)+1,...............)

    Or, if you know the max value WILL NEVER be >1000

    =LOOKUP(1000,...............)

    Biff

    news:e99wQeU%[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:e99wQeU%[email protected]...

    > Therefore I would tend to believe that the main goal in putting forward
    > suggested solutions would (should) be clarity and simplicity and
    > understandability (is that a word?<g>), and let the efficiency syndrome

    take
    > a back seat, except when either expressly mentioned, or insinuated, as

    part
    > of the actual request.

    I agree with you, but it was you who said that array formulae were
    inefficient <vbg>

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:u%23dm3vU%[email protected]...

    > My biggest "pet peeve":
    >
    > =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,................)
    >
    > Who has time to count all those 9's and make sure you're using just the
    > right amount?

    Once again, I find myself in complete agreement with you Mr Biff!

  13. #13
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Array Calculation Error

    And you converted me by making me have second thoughts!<vbg>

    RD

    news:usxD1lY%[email protected]...