formula for month that is prior to actual

  1. #1
    braadi
    Guest

    formula for month that is prior to actual

    i generate reports for data collected from the previous month (i.e. in
    december, i report for november's data). how do i formulate in my reports
    the date to show the previous month and year (while automatically updating
    according to excel date and time)?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: formula for month that is prior to actual

    One way

    =TEXT(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),0),"MMM YYYY")

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TedMi
    Guest

    RE: formula for month that is prior to actual

    =DATE(IF(MONTH(NOW())=1,YEAR(NOW())-1,YEAR(NOW())),
    IF(MONTH(NOW())=1,12,MONTH(NOW())-1), 28)
    This might be easier to follow if you store intermediate results in cells:
    A1: =IF(MONTH(NOW())=1,12,MONTH(NOW())-1)
    A2: =IF(A1=12,YEAR(NOW())-1, YEAR(NOW)))

    =Date(A2, A1, 28)

    This assumes that you put the DATE function in a cell formatted to show
    mm/yyyy. In that case, the day arg to the DATE function is arbitrary and can
    be any day number which appears in every month (i.e. 1-28).
    --
    Ted

  4. #4
    braadi
    Guest

    RE: formula for month that is prior to actual

    great. thanks so much.

  5. #5
    braadi
    Guest

    Re: formula for month that is prior to actual

    i appreciate the help so much. look forward to getting this working now.