Formatting Numbers

  1. #1

    Exclamation Formatting Numbers

    I need to delete the last two numbers shown in a series of cells. I can split the numbers at the hyphen if need be but second set of numbers needs to have the last two numbers eliminated (without the obvious backspacing). Copy of data:

    000103-03101
    000103-03102
    000503-04601
    000503-04701
    001103-00601
    000023-02901
    000023-03001
    000023-03002
    000023-03003

    For example: 000103-03101 needs to show 000103-031. I realize there will be duplicate cells. Please advise. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    If your list is in Col_A, beginning in Cell A1:

    B1: =LEFT(A1,10)

    Copy that formula down as far as you need.

    If you want to convert those formulas to values:
    Select the Col_B formulas
    Edit>Copy
    Edit>Paste Special>Values

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    If your numbers are consistently 12 characters (including hyphens) then in the cell next to the data, in this case B1.

    =LEFT(A1,10)

    Drag this down the list.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Formatting Numbers

    With your data in column A, put this in B1 and copy down..........

    =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Numbers

    Select the column of numbers, then:

    <Data> <Text to Columns>
    Click "Fixed Width", then <Next>

    Click in the "Preview Window" to create the "Break Line".
    Make sure it's placed to separate the last 2 digits.
    Then <Next>.

    In the "Preview Window", click in the second column containing your last 2
    digits to select it.
    Click on "Do Not Import".
    The header of the second column should change to "Skip Column".
    Then <Finish>

    And you're done!
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    "cen16868" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Smile Formatting Numbers

    Thanks for all of your help! Formula's working great! MSR