cell reference math

  1. #1
    JR
    Guest

    cell reference math

    I have a spreadsheet that is filled by experimental data. The number of data
    points (rows) can be 300-6000. I am tasked to take 50 point averages at the
    25% and 75% points of the data. I can get the number of data points using
    using the COUNTIF function. I need to be able to adjust the AVERAGE function
    based on the COUNTIF results. Is there a way to set the cell reference based
    upon this result? Are there any other ideas as to how to solve this? If my
    problem is not clear, please ask questions.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: cell reference math

    JR,

    How about these, for data in column A, and a title value in cell A1

    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(A1,COUNT(A:A)*0.25-25,0,50,1))
    and
    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(A1,COUNT(A:A)*0.75-25,0,50,1))

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...