mail merge with Excel data source

  1. #1
    tjb
    Guest

    mail merge with Excel data source

    I have an excel file that is laid out as follows:

    Doe John 123456789 Jimmy Doe
    Doe John 123456789 Jack Doe
    Doe John 123456789 Mary Doe
    Doe Jane 987654321 Brian Doe
    Doe Jane 987654321 Timmy Doe

    For each time John Doe is listed I want Jimmy, Jack and Mary to show on the
    mail merge document. The mail merge document would look something like this:

    Dear John Doe:
    We haven't received information on the following individuals:
    Jimmy Doe
    Jack Doe
    Mary Doe
    Thanks for your prompt attention.

    Will the layout of the file work for this?

    If not, how do I move all the children names from being in a column to being
    in a row for each initial name?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: mail merge with Excel data source

    Are you actually printing a letter or printing labels, that format will not work
    with Mail Merge.

    You can put your data in order with
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...ol.htm#joining

    You can use it in mail merge in that form if you accept printing the children's names
    all on one line; otherwise, you can modify the macro.
    ---
    HTH,