How do I Find links in worksheets - not in any formula

  1. #1
    RDFr
    Guest

    How do I Find links in worksheets - not in any formula

    When I open the Excel 2000 file, I am asked about links I no longer want. I
    have tried to find these references in the worksheets so I can delete them
    but have not been successful..

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I Find links in worksheets - not in any formula

    There are tools you can install, but try this first:

    Select an empty section of a worksheet
    Insert>Names>Paste>Paste List
    Then check the references for each name to see if it points to another
    workbook.

    If you want to change a reference or delete a name:
    Insert>Names>Define
    Select the name
    then either delete it or change the reference.

    If you don't see any linked workbooks...Repeat the paste list on each sheet
    to discover if there are any sheet-level names that are a problem.

    If that doesn't work...post back.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3

    Re: How do I Find links in worksheets - not in any formula

    When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

  4. #4
    William Horton
    Guest

    RE: How do I Find links in worksheets - not in any formula

    You can try the Excel menu path Edit / Go To and then choose the Special
    option at the bottom left of the dialogue box. Then choose the Formulas
    option and click okay. All the cells that contain formula's will be selected
    (on active worksheet). You can use your tab key to go through each cell and
    view the formula bar for a link to another document. It's not the best way
    but the only way I know how. Hopefully your file doesn't have too many
    worksheets and/or formulas to go through.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Bill Horton