Average of a >, < range

  1. #1

    Question Average of a >, < range

    Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria, where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day, but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Average of a >, < range

    =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A100>14),A2:A100)/SUMPRODUCT(((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A1
    00>14))*(ISNUMBER(A2:A100)))

    or

    =AVERAGE(IF(((A2:A100<4)+(A2:A100>14))*(ISNUMBER(A2:A100)),A2:A100))

    the latter entered with ctrl + shift & enter

    replace A2:A100 with your range (do not use the whole range A:A since the
    formula won't work with that, use a range size you pretty much know won't be
    larger like maybe A2:A1000 or something)

    Peo Sjoblom

    "Deb Pingel" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Average of a >, < range

    Hi,

    You may try the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    =average(if((range>A)*(range<B)),range))

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Ashish Mathur

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Average of a >, < range

    She wanted to exclude values between 4 and 14, that means she wants the
    average of values less than or equal to 4 (or less than 4 depending on her
    thinking) and values greater than or equal to 14 (or greater than 14), the
    multiplication you use won't work since it works as AND and how can an AND
    function be both <=4 AND >=14? This would need the equivalent of the OR
    function which in an array would be the plus sign

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Average of a >, < range

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:33 -0600, Deb Pingel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to average a range of numbers based on a criteria,
    >where the numbers have to fall within a range of data? I have tried
    >combining a number of statements and nothing is working. I want to
    >average a column of numbers that will have data added to it every day,
    >but throw out anything over 4 and under 14.

    If I understand what you write, you want to AVERAGE everything that is less
    than or equal to 4; as well as everything that is greater than or equal to 14.

    So try:

    =(SUMIF(RNG,"<=4") + SUMIF(RNG,">=14")) /
    (COUNTIF(RNG,"<=4")+COUNTIF(RNG,">=14"))

    --ron