lookup serch term and return sum of all values

  1. #1
    soilcon1
    Guest

    lookup serch term and return sum of all values

    I have a spreadsheet that has (among many other things) three columns of data
    for one farm. (see abbreviated example below) One is a field identifier, the
    next the practice occuring on that field, and the next the size of the field.
    At the end of the ACRES column, there is a total of acres for the whole
    farm. I want a function that will identify all of the same practice and give
    me the total of acres for that practice so that I can find what percentage of
    the practice is occuring over the whole farm. For example, I want a function
    that will identify all the 441 practices and tell me that there are 19.8
    acres of that practice in total. I have tried VLOOKUP to find 441 and return
    values in the 3rd row, but I could not figure out how to find all the 441's
    and return the total of acres for that practice. Any ideas?

    FIELD PRACTICE ACRES
    a 441 2.1
    b 442 13.2
    c 443 12.8
    d 441 0.5
    e 441 17.2
    f 443 11.1
    TOTAL 56.9

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: lookup serch term and return sum of all values

    What you described is what SUMIF does... =sumif(b2:b10,441,c2:c10). The
    second argument is what to look for, the first is where to look for it, and
    the third is what to add upon finding it.

  3. #3
    soilcon1
    Guest

    RE: lookup serch term and return sum of all values

    That is awsome! Thanks so much, that's exactly what I needed.