Converting hours to minutes

  1. #1

    Converting hours to minutes

    I am new to excel and I need help. I need to convert hours 01:10 to minutes 70. For one column A. What is the formula and how to I format it for the whole column not just one cell?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Converting hours to minutes

    Multiply by 1440 (24 hours per day by 60 minutes per hour)

    Bob Phillips

    "KSGORE" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Converting hours to minutes

    Select column A and pull-down:

    Format > Cells... > Number > Custom and enter [m] in the type field
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Converting hours to minutes

    To convert a time into a number of minutes, multiply by 1440, then format as
    a simple number (comma style, for example) rather than a time. To do this
    for a whole series of numbers, type the number 1440 in some random cell.
    Copy it. Then select all the times you want converted and Edit > Paste
    Special. Select the 'multiply' option and click OK. Then apply the
    formatting.

    BTW, the logic for 1440: Excel stores dates/times as numbers, specially
    formatted, with the integer portion being days and the fraction portion being
    parts of a day. There are 24 hours in a day, so multiply by 24 to get the
    number of hours. Then multiply by 60 to convert hours to minutes.
    --Bruce