Copy workbook- Validation function

  1. #1
    sjs
    Guest

    Copy workbook- Validation function

    I have a "master" workbook that contains customer contacts. In an effort to
    update these contacts I created several columns that contain drop-down list
    validation cells. I'm using cell range titles for my validation drop-down
    list options that are contained in it's own sheet within the workbook.

    I copied each saleperson's contacts into their own workbooks and brought
    over the validation sheet with the copy. In each of the copied workbooks the
    validation cells are intact but when I click on the drop-down arrow the
    options aren't presented. When I click on Data-Validation...I see the
    validation criteria copied over properly but when I click on "OK" I get the
    error "The Source currently evaluates to an error. Do you wish to continue?".
    When I select Yes the validation range still does not present itself.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    tks,
    steve

  2. #2
    Patti
    Guest

    RE: Copy workbook- Validation function

    Try redefining your cell range title in each of the workbooks -- sounds like
    the validation is looking for the list in your master workbook instead of the
    list in the salesperson's file.

  3. #3
    sjs
    Guest

    RE: Copy workbook- Validation function

    Hi Patti,

    That fixed the problem, thanks! But I wonder why it's happening, I have too
    many copied sheets and too many validation lists to correct manually...

    tks,
    steve

  4. #4
    Patti
    Guest

    RE: Copy workbook- Validation function

    I think it happens because the named range doesn't exist in the salesperson's
    file. I don't know of another fix. I've avoided the problem by moving my
    validation lists rather than copying them -- I move the worksheet to the new
    file and close the old file without saving -- this way, the worksheet and the
    named range exist in both files.