Making a letter equal 1 formula

  1. #1
    Randy
    Guest

    Making a letter equal 1 formula

    I am setting up a vacation spraedsheet for work. Is there a way to enter V
    for vacation day and have it equal one in my totals. I want to differentiate
    vacation days from sick days for each employee. I have all the necessary
    formulas set up to automatically deduct days if I enter the number 1, but I
    would rather enter V and have it equal the number 1. Hope this makes
    sense.....Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Making a letter equal 1 formula

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"V")

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Randy
    Guest

    Re: Making a letter equal 1 formula

    Either I did something wrong or it does not work. I entered this formula in a
    cell. I then Typed 'V', but nothing showed up in my totals.

  4. #4
    Randy
    Guest

    Re: Making a letter equal 1 formula

    OOPS! My bad.... I think I got it. Thanks!