Add insurance to loan payments

  1. #1
    VRhodes
    Guest

    Add insurance to loan payments

    I need to add insurance premiums to equipment loans, if selected by a
    customer. We offer 3 kinds of insurance. Insurance inputs are in cells as
    follows:
    Credit Life in C17:G17
    Disability in C18:G18
    Physical Damage in J16:J18
    Then I have interest rates in B20:K20. There are only 5 rates, 2 merged
    cells per rate, eg, B20:C20 is 7.0%, etc, for terms of 2-3-4-5-6 years
    I want to calculate a loan payment ONLY if one or more insurance rates are
    selected, AND there is an interest rate put in. For example, if there is an
    insurance premium selected, and I put an interest rate in only 2 of the 5
    (for a 4 year or 5 year loan), I want to calculate only those 2 payments.
    I have no trouble calculating payments, just how to set up the multiple
    criteria. I have a separate section where I calculate the same loan without
    insurance added.
    I have tried IF and IF/OR formulas, but haven't got it right.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    VRhodes

  2. #2
    JR
    Guest

    RE: Add insurance to loan payments

    ....have you tried a nested "IF"? If(**,*,If(**,*,If(**,*,))*)

  3. #3
    VRhodes
    Guest

    RE: Add insurance to loan payments

    Thanks JR, I have tried several combinations. My trouble is writing a formula
    that will test the insurance inputs, and the interest rate. I don't know how
    to write an IF formula using both OR and AND functions, but that's what I
    think I need.
    If "any input cell" AND if "interest rate" is what I want, then calculate
    payments only on the loans with a rate set up. The other issue is that the
    rest of the formula is quite long because of the PMT elements. I have to add
    several insurance calculations to the basic payment, so it's a long formula
    (to me! <bg>).
    Here's what I've got so far, and it works, but no way to test for interest
    rate in it yet.
    =IF(OR(Credit
    Life>0,Disability>0,PhysDam>0),PMT(B20/12,24,-LoanAmount-CLIPrem-DisPrem-PDIPrem,0,0),"")

    Thanks for your help

    VRhodes