trim function-how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement?

  1. #1

    trim function-how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement?

    i am using a formula

    in c1
    if(a1="a","***","")

    sometimes the formula fails in subsequent rows
    i suspect that there is a blank space following the "a"

    how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement
    or do you have to use a helper column to trim and then evaluate the
    trimmed result

    thanks

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    re: trim function-how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement?

    Hi,

    Use

    =if(trim(a1)="a","***","")

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    re: trim function-how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement?

    if(trim(a1)="a","***",""). --Bruce

  4. #4

    re: trim function-how would one incorporate the trim function within the if statement?

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:19:49 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

    thank you
    just couldn't get it through my hard head that it was easier than i
    was making it

    thanks again