Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

  1. #1

    Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

    Hello,

    Can anyone help me with the following: I would like one of the cells on my spreadsheet to reflect the greater of two values. In other words, let's say cell A1 contains the value 23 and cell A2 contains the value 24. How do I make a third cell, i.e. cell B3, automatically reflect the greater value (in this example, 24)? When it comes to formulas, I'm only familiar with the most basic of basics, like summation or subtraction or multiplication. So if anyone could provide a basic formula, I would very greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

    Hi,

    Type in this formula in B3

    =MAX(A1,A2)

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

    In cell B3: =max(a1,a2)
    In general, if you're not sure where to start with a formula, click in the
    cell where you want the result and, on the menu bar, Insert > Function. In
    the dialog, describe what you're trying to do and Excel is pretty good about
    offering up relevant functions. If you click on one of the functions
    suggested, the bottom of the dialog tells a little more about what that
    function does.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formula for selecting the greater of two values?

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:27:59 -0600, Boriana
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Can anyone help me with the following: I would like one of the cells
    >on my spreadsheet to reflect the greater of two values. In other
    >words, let's say cell A1 contains the value 23 and cell A2 contains the
    >value 24. How do I make a third cell, i.e. cell B3, automatically
    >reflect the greater value (in this example, 24)? When it comes to
    >formulas, I'm only familiar with the most basic of basics, like
    >summation or subtraction or multiplication. So if anyone could provide
    >a basic formula, I would very greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

    =MAX(A1,A2)
    --ron

  5. #5

    thank you

    Hi,

    I appreciate the tip. Thank you very much.

    Bonny

  6. #6

    Thank you

    Thank you, Govind. That's exactly what I was looking for!

    Bonny

    Quote Originally Posted by Govind
    Hi,

    Type in this formula in B3